Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Andrew Feinstein

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

SA Sojourn

I have recently returned to London after almost three weeks in SA.

I visited the Cape Town Book Fair for the first time and was taken not just by the size of the event but by the amazing diversity of what was on offer.

There were many great stands, but Jacana‘s was so wonderfully innovative in a uniquely South African way.

The three events I did were profoundly different. From a pure arms deal discussion with the courageous Terry Crawford-Browne to a conversation about not just post-Polokwane politics but also the differences between the biographer and the polemicist with Mark Gevisser and a broad-ranging discussion with the always thought-provoking Xolela Mangcu.

I then did my usual gamut of talks to a variety of different community groups, ranging from the Marais Road synagogue, the University of the Third Age in Hermanus and the launch of the Social Justice Coalition in Salt River.

The latter was a spirited meeting of hundreds of people from Claremont to Khayelitsha who wanted to make their voices heard against the recent xenophobic violence and the lack of accountability of our elected politicians and officials which was so graphically illustrated by their insipid response to the crisis. This, together with the undermining of the rule of law on everything from the despicable Malema/Vavi comments, through Travelgate, the Constitutional Court, the Zuma (non) trial, the Selebi situation and, of course, Zimbabwe, has left me more concerned about the state of the South African polity than at any time since the defeat of apartheid. The ululating crowd in Salt River gave a sense of hope amidst the gloom with their calls for both a global humanity and a more active, inclusive local community politics.

On Saturday I am off to Israel and the occupied territories as part of a South African human rights delegation to lend support to a coalition of Israeli/Palestinian organisations seeking a peaceful resolution to the occupation that has wrought so much suffering for so long. Our intention is also to try and initiate a more rational public discussion of these issues in SA.

Oh, and amidst all this I have agreed to do a book on the global arms industry and how it undermines accountable democracy for Hamish Hamilton/Penguin internationally and Jonathan Ball Publishers in SA. But before that I am working on the second edition of After the Party which will also be published in the UK and the US by Verso.

Recent comments:

• <a href="http://louisgreenberg.com" rel="nofollow">Louis Greenberg</a>
    Louis Greenberg
    July 4th, 2008 @11:51 #

Yours is fascinating and important work, Andrew - thanks for the update.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://andrewfeinstein.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Andrew</a>
    Andrew
    July 4th, 2008 @19:19 #

Thanks, Louis, I will try and provide more regular updates while writing.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://mhambi.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">mhambi</a>
    mhambi
    July 5th, 2008 @00:52 #

Hi Andrew, I found your book very brave and enlightening, if at times your reasoning seemed a bit naive.

Your books proves how individuals can make a difference.

But why do you think have so few ANC members not found the courage to speak out sooner? Even Kader Asmal who now has come out strongly against attacks on the Constitution, only did so after his retirement.

Talking about naivety. Do you think the Nationalists were naive at the negotiation table and should have held out for more stringent protections of the Chapter 9 institutions and the Con Court? Also, do you see a future for Afrikaners in Africa, and what would you advice be to them?

I also have something that might interest you. I wrote a blog post about MP Andries Nel's involvement in the arms deal cover up as described in your book, and he responded.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://www.modjajibooks.co.za" rel="nofollow">Colleen</a>
    Colleen
    July 5th, 2008 @09:53 #

mhambi - your click through on MP Andries Nel's involvement in the arms deal cover up doesn't work. I would like to see the response, so please make the click through work. thanks

Bottom
    Ben - Editor
    July 5th, 2008 @11:39 #

A bit of Googling and I've tracked down the link, Colleen:

Bottom
  • <a href="http://www.modjajibooks.co.za" rel="nofollow">Colleen</a>
    Colleen
    July 5th, 2008 @18:40 #

thanks Ben!

Bottom
  • <a href="http://mhambi.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">mhambi</a>
    mhambi
    July 8th, 2008 @17:50 #

Yes, thanks for that Ben, I must have made a mistake.

Bottom
    mikeelrick
    September 25th, 2008 @00:19 #

andrew. long time no speak. Been reading your thoughts on current sa events in the Guardian. Would be good to catch up. You can reach me on elrickmunro@aol.com. Best wishes. Mike Elrick

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat